Back to Topic List                         I Built a Wersi Organ                My Wersi Organs

by Joe Sayers

Joe gives us an interesting view of his own experiences of building the Wersi Cosmos from kit form.

 

1) I Suppose it all started whilst Mary and I were on holiday in September 1981.  Monday morning, it was raining cats and dogs, we decided to go and look at a back street D.I.Y. shop who were agents for a firm that supplied organ kits.  We were made most welcome and permitted to play any of the assembled organs in stock.

 
 

2) On our return home we found that the supplier had sent a newsletter with the address of their nearest stockist.  It was then decided that a trip to Birmingham would be made.  We returned home with a car full of boxes containing all the bits and pieces to build a Wersi Cosmos Organ, plus twelve instruction manuals (some in German) and a bank balance some 1550 lighter.

 

3) The following day I unpacked box No.1 and read the first two manuals. One being general instructions which told you what various electronic parts looked like.  The other related to description and construction of the first printed circuit board.

 

 
 

4) After some three hours work I had finished the first board - the main power supply for the organ.  The manual carefully explained how to connect the P.C.B. via a transformer to the mains.  It carried on to say if there is no smoke or 5th November fireworks display continue with the test procedure (three voltage tests).  There were no sparks or smoke so with my brand new multi-meter I went ahead with the tests.  Success - it worked first time.

 
 

5) The second P.C.B. was much more complicated, in fact each successive one seemed to get more complicated with hundreds of bits and pieces.  I should say that most P.C.B.s are tested immediately on completion and of course it would be too much to expect everything to work first time.  However, help was always available at the other end of the telephone from the suppliers engineers who were most helpful.

6)  One morning at 07.30 the wooden cabinet arrived ready for me to assemble all the P.C.B.s, Keyboards, Rhythm Unit, Pedals etc., so after some ten weeks of work soldering thousands of resistors, diodes, capacitors, transistors and integrated circuits (some of which had as many as 40 pins) on the P.C.B.s.  I was ready for the big 'switch-on'.

 
 

7) The initial 'switch-on' procedure was quite lengthy.  The P.C.B.s were to be connected with several wiring harness.  Some wires are soldered to various Boards others are connected by plugs on to pins which I had soldered on the Boards.  I started according to the instructions manual, connecting some plugs leaving other un-connected.  The manual said 'switch-on' for a few seconds, watch out for smoke'!  Would it work?  Would it burn up? 

 

8) With my son standing by with the fire extinguisher and my wife suddenly deciding she had some urgent shopping to do, I pressed the switch.  Great - no smoke.  We then proceeded according to instructions.  Test this, adjust that etc.  It took about four hours.  I played a tune.  The organ worked as it should.  We collapsed exhausted.

The Wersi Cosmos Organ cost me, with some tools, multi-meter and soldering iron about 1600 including the stool.  To buy the organ ready assembled would have cost me about 4100.  Building the organ myself has given me the knowledge of how it works.  It has also given me a great sense of achievement.

December 1982

Since building the Cosmos Organ I have added some extras, the total cost being about 2100. I had no real problems.

 

Joe Sayers